Place:Torkington, Cheshire, England

TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.379°N 2.106°W
Located inCheshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inGreater Manchester, England     (1974 - )
See alsoStockport, Cheshire, Englandancient parish of which it was a township
Macclesfield Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Stockport Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district of which Torkington was part 1894-1900
Hazel Grove and Bramhall, Cheshire, Englandurban district of which it was part 1900-1974
Stockport (metropolitan borough), Greater Manchester, Englandmetropolitan borough in which it has been located since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

GENUKI provides the following information

Torkington was a township in Stockport ancient parish in Macclesfield Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. In 1900 the civil parish was abolished, and the township became part of Hazel Grove and Bramhall Urban District. The population was 218 in 1801, 358 in 1851, and 339 in 1901.

The urban district was abolished in 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, and its former area was transferred to Greater Manchester to be combined with that of other districts to form the Metropolitan Borough of Stockport.

The Church of St. Mary the Virgin in Stockport was the ancient parish church for Torkington. St. Thomas's in High Lane became the district church in 1860 for part of Torkington and St. Thomas's in Norbury (Hazel Grove) became the district church for the remainder of Torkington from 1878.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.