- "The beautiful sloping ground directly west from the city was set apart in 1859 by Dr. Franklin L. Crane for the purposes of a cemetery, and the general arrangement of the grounds remains as he planned it 45 years ago. The first burial in the new cemetery was of Mrs. Marcia Gordon, who died about December 20, 1859. Since that time it has afforded a resting-place for nearly 11,000 deceased persons. Soon after coming to Topeka, Dr. Crane settled upon this tract of land, and built a small house on the west side of the tract. In Topeka's infancy there was considerable difficulty experienced in obtaining a proper place for the interment of the dead, and interments were first made at the southeast corner of Kansas and 10th avenues. By an arrangement with the Topeka Town Association, Dr. Crane set apart his original claim to meet this contingency, and took up other land near the city for his personal homestead. The interment made at Kansas and 10th avenues were removed to the new cemetery in 1860. Officers of the Topeka Cemetery Association are: A. B. Quinton, president; George W. Crane, secretary, and D. O. Crane, superintendent and treasurer."
- 1601 SE 10th Ave, Topeka, Kansas 66607 +1 785-233-4132
- ↑ King, James L., History of Shawnee County Kansas (1905), pgs 187-88