Place:Tolleshunt Knights, Essex, England

Watchers


NameTolleshunt Knights
Alt namesToleshuntasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 106
Tollensumtesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 105
Tolleshunt Knightsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 106
Tolleshunt-Knightssource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeVillage
Coordinates51.8°N 0.783°E
Located inEssex, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Tolleshunt Knights is a village and civil parish in the English county of Essex.

The Parish has a Parish council, and lies within the area of Maldon District Council.[1] It borders Tiptree, Layer Marney and Salcott cum Virley within the Colchester Borough Council's District and Tolleshunt D'Arcy also within Maldon District. Prior to Tiptree Parish Council being established in 1934 much of the Tiptree Heath area was within the boundaries of Tolleshunt Knights.

The village is also the location of the Patriarchal Stavropegic Monastery of St. John the Baptist, an Orthodox monastery founded by Archimandrite Sophrony in 1958.

From 1904 to 1951 the village was served by a small station on the Kelvedon and Tollesbury Light Railway. Tolleshunt Knights is an inhabited place.

Research Tips