Place:Toft next Newton, Lincolnshire, England

NameToft next Newton
Alt namesToft-Next-Newtonsource: from redirect
Toft-next-Newtonsource: Family History Library Catalog
Toftesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 176
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates53.383°N 0.423°W
Located inLincolnshire, England
Also located inLindsey, England     (1889 - 1936)
See alsoCaistor Rural, Lindsey, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1936
Toft Newton, Lincolnshire, Englandparish into which it was absorbed in 1936
West Lindsey District, Lincolnshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Toft next Newton was one of two parishes in Caistor Rural District in Lincolnshire, England which was absorbed into the new civil parish of Toft Newton in 1936. The area is 4 miles (6 km) west from Market Rasen. The River Ancholme flows between the two former parishes. Toft next Newton is to the northwest of the river.

St Peter and Paul Church in Toft next Newton was originally built in the thirteenth century, but was extensively remodelled in 1891 by Hodgson Fowler. It is a grade II listed building, but was closed in 1986.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Toft next Newton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"TOFT-NEXT-NEWTON, a parish in Caistor [registration] district, Lincoln; 4½ miles W by S of Market-Rasen [railway] station. Post town: Market-Rasen. Acres: 1,293. Real property: £1,756. Population: 85. Houses: 15. The property is divided among five. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value: £280. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church is good."

Research Tips

Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.

There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.

From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.

  • Maps provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time show all the parishes and many villages and hamlets. (Small local reorganization of parishes took place in the 1930s led to differences between the latter two maps.):
  • GENUKI's page on Lincolnshire's Archive Service gives addresses, phone numbers, webpages for all archive offices, museums and libraries in Lincolnshire which may store old records and also presents a list entitled "Hints for the new researcher" which may include details of which you are not aware. These suggestions are becoming more and more outdated, but there's no telling what may be expected in a small library.
  • GENUKI also has pages of information on individual parishes, particularly ecclesiastical parishes. The author may just come up with morsels not supplied in other internet-available sources.
  • Deceased Online now has records for 11 cemeteries and two crematoria in Lincolnshire. This includes Grimsby's Scartho Road cemetery, Scartho Road crematorium, and Cleethorpes cemetery, council records for the City of Lincoln and Gainsborough, and older church records from The National Archives for St Michael's in Stamford, and St Mark's in Lincoln, dating back to 1707. This is a pay website.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Toft Newton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.