- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Toddington is a village and civil parish in north Gloucestershire, located approximately 20 km north-east of Cheltenham with a population of around 300 people. The parish has been since 1974 in Tewkesbury Borough or District. Before the nationwide reorganization of municipalities in 1974, Toddington was in Winchcombe Rural District from 1894 until 1935 and in Cheltenham Rural District from 1935 until 1974.
The village is split into two, the "Old Town" near the church and the "New Town" at the crossing of the B4077 and B4632 roads. Despite the size of the village, it has a large church, St. Andrew's which contains the marble tombs of local nobility, the Tracy family, who variously lived at Sudeley Castle, Hailes Abbey and Toddington Manor.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Toddington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "TODDINGTON, a parish in Winchcomb district, Gloucester; 3 miles N by E of Winchcomb, and 7 E of Ashchurch [railway] station. Post town, Winchcomb, under Cheltenham. Acres: 1,857. Real property: £2,990. Population: 153. Houses: 31. The manor, with [Toddington] House, belongs to Lord Sudeley. The living is a vicarage, united with Stanley-Pontlarge, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: not reported. Patron: Lord Sudeley. The church was rebuilt in 1723."
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Kiftsgate (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Winchcombe Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury (district), Gloucestershire, England | Toddington, Gloucestershire, England | Winchcombe Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England