- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Tirley is a place in Gloucestershire, England. It has a parish church dedicated to St Michael and All Angels.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Tirley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "TIRLEY, a parish, with Haw hamlet, in Tewkesbury [registration] district, Gloucester; on the river Severn, 4½ miles SW by S of Tewkesbury [railway] station. It has a postal pillar-box under Tewkesbury. Acres: 1,850. Real property: £4,490. Population: 539. Houses: 129. The property is much subdivided. A bridge spans the Severn at Haw; and was built in 1825, at a cost of £24,349. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £417. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church is decorated English. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £80."
Tewkesbury (1837 - 1937)
Gloucester Rural (1937 - 1974)
Gloucester (post-1974) (1974 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Tirley from A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 8/Deerhurst hundred in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online.
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Tirley, Gloucestershire, England | Deerhurst (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Westminster (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Rural Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester (post-1974) Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England
Help fund new features!