Tipton is now a town in the Sandwell borough of the West Midlands, England, with a population of around 38,777 at the UK 2011 census. Tipton is located about halfway between Birmingham and Wolverhampton. It is a part of the West Midlands conurbation and is a part of the Black Country.
Tipton was an urban district in Staffordshire until 1938, when it became a municipal borough. The vast majority of the Borough of Tipton was transferred into West Bromwich County Borough in 1966, although the Tividale part of the town became part of Warley and a small section of the west of the town was incorporated into Dudley. Along with the rest of West Bromwich and Warley, Tipton became part of the Sandwell Metropolitan Borough in the West Midlands in 1974 and remains within this local authority to this day.
Tipton was once one of the most heavily industrialised towns in the Black Country. Many of its factories closed during the 1980s and new housing estates were built on former industrial sites.