Tinkling Spring Presbyterian Church Cemetery is located in Fishersville, Augusta, Virginia, USA.
Address: 30 Tinkling Spring Drive, Fishersville, Virginia 22939.
About Tinkling Spring Church and Cemetery
Tinkling Spring Church was the first Presbyterian Church in Shenandoah Valley in 1740. The first meeting house was a log cabin measuring twenty-four by fifty feet.
A monument that stands outside of Tinkling Spring church reads:
It lists the names of the original members who were assessed twelve shillings each to build the first meeting house. Administratively, the membership was divided into three Quarters headed by John Christian, William Wright, and John Finley. Christian's quarter included families named Black, Cowin, Wilson, Long, Bell, Alexander, Stewart, Patton, Hall, Robison, Cristian, Davison, McCollock, Caldwell, Armstrong, Rutledge, Henderson, Conegham, Thomson, Scott, Gamel, Ramsey, Preston, Maxwell, McDonal, Russell, Lewis, Hutchison, McClanahan, Brackenridge, and McCollock. Wright's quarter included families named Smith Hutchison, Palmer, Thomson, Moday, Frazer, Johnston, Logan, Henderson, Scileran, Black, Cear, McCune, Fergeson, and Wright. Finley's quarter included families named McClure, Turk, Gay, Finley, McCollock, Gelaspey, Edmiston, Campbell, Stewart, Peterson, Cear, Tays, Steel, and White.
Tinkling Spring Cemetery Inscriptions
Wilson, Howard McKnight. The Tinkling Spring, headwater of freedom: a study of the church and her people, 1732-1952. (Fishersville, Virginia: Tinkling Spring and Hermitage Presbyterian Churches, 1954).