Ticonderoga is a hamlet in the southeast of the town of Ticonderoga, in Essex County, New York, United States. The name is derived from a native term for "between the two waters." The hamlet became a census-designated place in 2008. As of the 2010 Census, the population was 3,382.
In 1889, the hamlet of Ticonderoga was incorporated as a village within the town of Ticonderoga, but in 1992 voted to dissolve the village. The area is an important location for the production of paper. The familiar yellow "Ticonderoga pencils" were named for the fort and never actually made in the community.
Fort Ticonderoga, east of the community, was the original outpost of civilization before it fell into disrepair after its importance in war declined. The modern fort is a reconstruction of the ruins.
History of, and historic sites in, the village of Ticonderoga are detailed in "Ticonderoga (Village) Multiple Resource Area", a New York State study from 1988.
The Lake George Steamboat Company continues to operate steamboats out of Ticonderoga.