Place:Tickton, East Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameTickton
Alt namesTichetonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 309
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates53.851°N 0.372°W
Located inEast Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inYorkshire, England    
Humberside, England     (1974 - 1996)
East Riding of Yorkshire, England     (1996 - )
See alsoBeverley Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district in which the parish was situated
Tickton-with-Hull-Bridge, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandcivil parish preceding the formation of Tickton in 1935
Eske, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandcivil parish preceding the formation of Tickton in 1935
Storkhill-with-Sandholme, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandcivil parish preceding the formation of Tickton in 1935
Weel, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandcivil parish preceding the formation of Tickton in 1935
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names

Tickton and its former parishes do not appear on the above map. From their co-ordinates it is to be assumed that Tickton is in the eastern reaches of what is described as Molescroft.

the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Tickton is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. The village is approximately 2 miles (3.2 km) east from Beverley, and is south of the A1035 road. The village is about 1 mile (1.6 km) long and contains, two churches, two pubs, a primary school and village shop cum post office.

The civil parish was formed in 1935 and consists of the villages of Tickton and Hull Bridge together with the hamlets of Eske, Storkhill-with-Sandholme and Weel. According to the 2011 UK census, Tickton parish had a population of 1731, an increase on the 2001 census figure of 1586.

From 1894 until 1974 the area was part of the Beverley Rural District. All four sections were in the ecclesiastical parish of Beverley but were divided between the wapentakes of Harthill and Holderness.

In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.


Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Tickton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.