|Alt names||Titchborne||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Fawley Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Alresford Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Winchester Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1932-1974|
|Winchester District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Tichborne is a village and civil parish in the Winchester District or City of Winchester of Hampshire. The village is 4 miles (6.4 km) east of central Winchester.
The Tichborne family has held the manor since the 12th century. Tichborne House was built shortly after 1803 while a longstanding baronetcy (indicating the use of 'Sir') was held by the family. There was a notorious 19th-century legal case of the Tichborne Claimant, in which an English imposter, Arthur Orton, then living in Australia, claimed to be missing Tichborne family member Sir Roger Tichborne.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Tichborne.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Tichborne.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Tichborne, Hampshire, England | Fawley Hundred, Hampshire, England | Alresford Rural, Hampshire, England | Winchester Rural, Hampshire, England | Winchester District, Hampshire, England