|Alt names||Thwaite||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Thwaite St Mary||source: Wikipedia, A Vision of Britain through Time|
|Type||Hamlet, Civil parish|
|Located in||Norfolk, England|
|See also||Loddon Hundred, Norfolk, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Loddon and Clavering Rural, Norfolk, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1935|
|Loddon Rural, Norfolk, England||rural district in which it was located 1935-1974|
|South Norfolk District, Norfolk, England||district municiplaity covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Thwaite-St. Mary is a rural hamlet (and civil parish) in the English county of Norfolk, it sits just a few miles north of the Suffolk border. Thwaite – sometimes pronounced ‘twayt’ by locals – has approximately 35 dwellings and a population of around 79.
Due to its rural location and minimal air and light pollution, Thwaite is home to an astronomical observatory run by the University of East Anglia. The village also backs on to the tiny Seething Airfield, formerly RAF Seething which utilises part of the runway from an old American wartime airbase. The 1941 control tower still stands and serves as a museum to the war years and to the 448th Bombardment Group (Heavy) in particular.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Thwaite St. Mary from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "THWAITE-ST. MARY, a parish in Loddon [registration] district, Norfolk; 3½ miles N of Bungay [railway] station. Post town: Bungay. Acres: 676. Real property: £1,089. Population: 136. Houses: 29. The property is chiefly divided between two. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value: £200. Patron: the Duke of Norfolk. The church is tolerable."
Categories: Norfolk, England | Thwaite-St. Mary, Norfolk, England | Loddon Hundred, Norfolk, England | Loddon and Clavering Rural, Norfolk, England | Loddon Rural, Norfolk, England | South Norfolk District, Norfolk, England