Thurnby village proper is set to the south of the A47, just after it leaves the city. A sister village, Bushby lies just to the East and merges into it such that the two have made one civil parish, Thurnby and Bushby, since 1935. To the west is Evington and Thurnby Lodge in Leicester proper, to the north is Scraptoft and to the south and east are open countryside - the next villages in these directions are Stoughton and Houghton on the Hill.
Thurnby is not mentioned in the Domesday Book, possibly being considered part of Stoughton, but is recorded by the 13th century.
(part to Leicester in 1935; part to Oadby in 1936; remainder to Leicester in 1966) from A History of Britain through Time