NOTE: There are three places named Thurlby in Lincolnshire. The one is named Thurlby by Bourne and the other is a hamlet further north in the parish of Bilsby in the District of East Lindsey. Wikipedia names them Thurlby, South Kesteven, Thurlby, North Kesteven (this one), and Thurlby, East Lindsey.
Thurlby is a village and civil parish in the North Kesteven District of Lincolnshire, England, about 9 miles (14 km) south-west of the city of Lincoln and about 9 miles (14 km) northeast of the town of Newark-on-Trent in Nottinghamshire, England. It is most notable for Thurlby Hall, home of the Bromhead baronets.
The parish church is a Grade II* listed building dedicated to St. Germain and dating from the 11th century, with a 13th-century west tower. It was much restored in the 19th century, and has a porch over a Norman doorway and a 15th-century font.
Thurlby Hall is a Grade II listed small country house dating from the early 18th century. The house was the home of the Bromhead baronets. Major Sir Edmund Gonville Bromhead (1791–1870) 3rd Baronet, was the father of Gonville Bromhead who won the Victoria Cross at the 1879 battle of Rorke's Drift in the Zulu War. Gonville Bromhead's older brother Benjamin Parnell Bromhead succeeded their father as 4th Baronet.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.