Thurcroft is a village and civil parish situated southeast of Rotherham in the Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham in South Yorkshire, England. From 1902 to 1991, it was a close-knit, mining community. It has a population of 5,296.
The village has seen great changes and re-generation since the pit closed down. The closure had a devastating effect on the community as a whole and since then a lot of families have moved out of the village. Recent re-generation has taken place from the local council and now the housing has increased with new housing estates being built on the old pit site.
The old colliery site and the pit tip have now been renovated into large grass plains and show no sign of what they once were.
The name Thurcroft has Norse (Viking) roots as 'thorr' means thunder in old Norse, so is probably at least a thousand years old. According to A D Mills in his Dictionary of English Place-Names the first mention of Thurcroft is in 1319. Thurscroft 'Enclosure of a man called Thorir. Old Scandinavian persons name + Old English word Croft
Until the 20th century Thurcroft consisted of Thurcroft Hall, the longtime holding of the Mirfin family, and three other farms. Thurcroft Hall was held by the Mirfin (sometimes spelled Mirfield) until 1644 when Robert Mirfin, the lord of the manor, died childless. The property then was carried into the Beckwith family by his widow—who also happened to be his stepsister. The MIrfields and the Levetts of nearby High Melton were interrelated, Thomas Levett having married Robert Mirfin's sister Elizabeth.
The land on which the village would one day stand was bought in the 1800s (along with the Hall) by a Sheffield brewer (Thomas Marrian), whose son, Thomas Marrian Jr, leased the coal mining rights to Rother Vale Collieries in 1902. Modern Thurcroft only really came into being with the sinking of the coal mine in around 1909. Many of the terraced houses on the area showed characteristics of coal mining in the last quarter of the 19th century and first quarter of the 20th century. The population grew from next to nothing in 1900 to around 2,000 in 1923: Shortly after which the village saw hard times in the 1926 coal strike, when 250,000 free meals were given out between May and September. By 1947 the mine employed over 2,000 men, and in the 1984/85 miners' strike the pit was again involved in industrial action.
The coal mine was closed in 1991 despite attempts by the workforce to buy it out.