Place:Thropton, Northumberland, England

TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.317°N 1.95°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoRothbury, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Rothbury Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Alnwick District, Northumberland, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Thropton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"THROPTON, a township in Rothbury parish, Northumberland; 3¼ miles W of Rothbury. Acres: 827. Population: 253. Houses: 59. There are chapels for Presbyterians and Roman Catholics. "

Thropton was a township in the ancient parish of Rothbury and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Rothbury Rural District. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Thropton became part of the Alnwick District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.There have been no changes to its boundaries and it remains as a civil parish today.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.