|Alt names||Thornton-Hough||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Torintone||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 54|
|Located in||Cheshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Merseyside, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Wirral Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1933|
|Bebington, Cheshire, England||municipal borough into which part was absorbed 1933|
|Wirral Urban, Cheshire, England||urban district in which part of it was located 1933-1974|
|Wirral (metropolitan borough), Merseyside, England||metropolitan borough covering most of the Wirral Peninsula since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Thornton Hough was a township in Neston ancient parish, in the Wirral hundred, which became a civil parish in 1866. The population was 165 in 1801, 164 in 1851, 547 in 1901, 506 in 1951, and 770 in 2001.
Thornton Hough was expanded as a "model village" by Joseph Hirst, a Yorkshire mill owner, who bought land in 1866. The village was later bought by William Lever who built Port Sunlight.
It was part of the Wirral Rural District from 1894 until 1933. In 1933 Wirral Rural District was abolished and Thornton Hough was split between two newly organized administrations: Wirral Urban District and Bebington Urban District (which, in 1937, became Bebington Municipal Borough).
In the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974 the entire Wirral Peninsula, with the exception of the municipal borough of Ellesmere Port and urban district of Neston at the southern end, became the Metropolitan Borough of the Wirral in the new administrative county of Merseyside.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Thornton Hough.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Wirral Rural, Cheshire, England | Bebington and Bromborough, Cheshire, England | Wirral Urban, Cheshire, England | Wirral (metropolitan borough), Merseyside, England | Merseyside, England