Place:Thornton Abbey, Thornton, Lincolnshire, England

Watchers


NameThornton Abbey
TypeCemetery
Coordinates53.655°N 0.3098°W
Located inThornton, Lincolnshire, England


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Thornton Abbey was founded as a priory in 1139 by William le Gros, the Earl of Yorkshire, and raised to the status of Abbey in 1148. It was a house for Augustinian or black canons. These priests lived a communal life under the Rule of St Augustine but also undertook pastoral duties outside of the Abbey. Officers within the Abbey besides the abbot and prior included a cellarer, bursar, chamberlain, sacrist, kitchener and an infirmer. It is located close to the small North Lincolnshire village of Thornton Curtis.

The abbey was closed in 1539 by Henry VIII as part of the dissolution. Thornton was a wealthy and prestigious house valued at the dissolution at the considerable sum of £591 0s 2 ¾ d.

Thornton Abbey railway station is nearby.

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Thornton Abbey. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.