- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Thornton le Moors is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. At the UK census of 2001 it had a population of 260, reducing slightly to 253 at the 2011 UK census.
The village is seven miles north east of the city of Chester. It is situated to the south of the A5117 road. To the north of the village is the Stanlow Refinery. To the west is the nearest town of Ellesmere Port and to the north west is the nearest village, Elton in Thornton.
Thornton le Moors was a township in Thornton ancient parish in Eddisbury Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. It includes the hamlet of Thornton Green. The population was 156 in 1801, 186 in 1851, 130 in 1901, 223 in 1951, and 260 in 2001. (Source: GENUKI)
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.