the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Thornton-in-Craven is a village and civil parish in the Craven district of North Yorkshire, England. It is approx 1,740 feet (530 m) from the border with Lancashire and 1 mile (1.6 km) north of Earby. Barnoldswick is nearby. The Pennine Way passes through the village.
Near the medieval church to the west of the village is a holy well, dating from Saxon times and now covered by an octagonal structure erected in 1764 by the rector.
Thornton-in-Craven railway station was closed when passenger trains over the Skipton to Colne route were withdrawn in 1970.