|Alt names||Ternitone||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 44|
|Located in||Buckinghamshire, England|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Thornton is a village and civil parish on the River Great Ouse about north-east of Buckingham in the Aylesbury Vale district of Buckinghamshire.
The toponym is derived from the Old English for "thorn tree by a farm". The Domesday Book of 1086 records the village as Ternitone.
The earliest record of the Church of England Church of Saint Michael and All Angels dates from 1219. The present building is 14th-century, but was drastically restored between 1770 and 1800 and largely rebuilt by the Gothic Revival architect John Tarring in 1850. The restorers retained a number of mediaeval features, including the 14th-century belltower, chancel arch and clerestory and 15th century clerestory windows.
The Tudor Revival Thornton House was also built to John Tarring's designs in 1850. It incorporates parts of a mediaeval house that was modernised in the 18th century.