Place:Thornthwaite with Padside, West Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameThornthwaite with Padside
Alt namesThornthwaite
Padside
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates54.0261°N 1.7247°W
Located inWest Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inYorkshire, England    
North Yorkshire, England     (1974 - )
See alsoPateley Bridge Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1937
Ripon and Pateley Bridge Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1937-1974
Harrogate District, North Yorkshire, Englanddistrict municipality of which it has been a part since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog


NOTE: There is another place named Thornthwaite in Cumberland (nowadays Cumbria) in England.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Thornthwaite from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"THORNTHWAITE, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Pateley-Bridge district, [West Riding of] Yorkshire. The township lies 2¾ miles W by S of Darley [railway] station, and 4½ S by E of Pateley-Bridge; and is called T[hornthwaite]-with-Padside. Acres: 1,960. Population: 257. Houses: 56.
"The chapelry extends much beyond the township, and is in Hampsthwaite parish. Post town, Ripley, under Leeds. Population: 930. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £109.* Patron, the Vicar of Hampsthwaite. The sub-district contains 4 townships. Acres: 12,450. Population: 1,925. Houses: 438."

Padside is a hamlet in the parish, 5 miles south of Pateley Bridge. There was a house named Padside Hall. (Source: Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles of 1887)

Wikipedia does not have articles on Thornthwaite or Padside, but does mention the Folly Gill Flax Mill which existed in the township at one time.

Historically, Thornthwaite with Padside was in the ecclesiastical parish of Hampsthwaite in the Lower division of the Claro Wapentake. From 1894 until 1937, Thornthwaite with Padside was located in Pateley Bridge Rural District and from 1937 until 1974 in Ripon and Pateley Bridge Rural District. In 1974 the area became part of the Harrogate District of North Yorkshire.

Pateley Bridge Rural DistrictRipon Rural DistrictRipon Rural District (cont'd)
1 Bewerley 1 Aldfield15 Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains
2 Birstwith 2 Azerley16 Littlethorpe
3 Bishop Thornton 3 Bishop Monkton17 Markingfield Hall
4 Clint 4 Bishopton (until 1900)18 Markington with Wallerthwaite
5 Dacre 5 Bridge Hewick19 Newby with Mulwith
6 Fountains Earth 6 Clotherholme20 North Stainley with Sleningford
7 Hartwith cum Winsley 7 Copt Hewick21 Nunwick cum Howgrave
8 High and Low Bishopside 8 Eavestone22 Sawley
9 Menwith with Darley 9 Givendale23 Sharow
10 Stonebeck Down10 Grantley24 Skelding
11 Stonebeck Up11 Grewelthorpe25 Skelton-on-Ure
12 Thornthwaite with Padside12 Ingerthorpe (until 1937)26 Studley Roger
13 Thruscross13 Kirkby Malzeard27 Sutton Grange
14 Warsill14 Laverton28 Winksley

Research Tips

  • GENUKI on Thornthwaite with Padside. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
  • The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Hampsthwaite provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time on Thornthwaite with Padside.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. Those listed here provide data for the part of the West Riding that transferred to North Yorkshire in 1974 plus the northern parts of Leeds and Bradford. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
  • Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
  • Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
  • Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the northern part of the West Riding (mostly Settle, Skipton, Ripon and Pateley Bridge, and Nidderdale, with sections of Wharfedale and Wetherby) after the revisions of 1935.