- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Thorner is now a rural village and civil parish in the City of Leeds metropolitan borough in West Yorkshire, England. Its population in 2001 was just over 1500 (source: UK census).
Thorner is situated close to the A1, A58 and A64 trunk roads. It is 8 miles (13 km) north-east of Leeds city centre and 7 miles (11 km) to the south-west of Wetherby. The underlying rock is limestone, some of which was burnt into lime and flagstone and slates were quarried.
Historically, Thorner was an ecclesiastical parish in the Lower division of the Skyrack Wapentake. From 1894 until 1974, Thorner was located in Wetherby Rural District. In 1974 the area became part of the Leeds Metropolitan Borough in West Yorkshire.
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
The village appears in the 1086 Domesday Book as "Torneure" (also "Tornoure") means "thorn bank". The ancient parish of Thorner covered 4400 acres in the wapentake of Skyrack in the West Riding of Yorkshire. The parish included the townships of Scarcroft and Shadwell, which became separate civil parishes in 1866.
The church of St Peter is built in the later English gothic style and has a square embattled tower In the graveyard is the grave of
John Philips, who lived to 118 years. A school was built by subscription in 1787. The Wesleyan Methodists have a place of worship in the village.
- GENUKI on Thorner. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Thorner provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Thorner.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. Those listed here provide data for the part of the West Riding that transferred to North Yorkshire in 1974 plus the northern parts of Leeds and Bradford. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the northern part of the West Riding (mostly Settle, Skipton, Ripon and Pateley Bridge, and Nidderdale, with sections of Wharfedale and Wetherby) after the revisions of 1935.
- Ordnance Survey Southern part of the West Riding 1944 shows the southern part of the West Riding (including the southern part of Wetherby Rural District).
Help fund new features!