Place:Thorley, Hertfordshire, England

Alt namesOld Thorleysource: hamlet in parish
Thorley Washsource: hamlet in parish
Thorley Streetsource: hamlet in parish
Torleisource: Domesday Book (1985) p 138
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.85°N 0.15°E
Located inHertfordshire, England
See alsoBraughing Hundred, Hertfordshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Bishop's Stortford Rural, Hertfordshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1895
Hadham Rural, Hertfordshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1895-1935
Bishop's Stortford Rural, Hertfordshire, Englandtown to which substantial part was transferred 1935
Braughing Rural, Hertfordshire, Englandrural district in which part was located 1935-1974
East Hertfordshire District, Hertfordshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Thorley is a civil parish in Hertfordshire, England, encompassing the hamlets Thorley Street, Thorley Wash and Old Thorley; near Bishop's Stortford in Hertfordshire. It is mentioned in the Domesday book as Torlei, belonging to Geoffrey de Mandeville, a notable Norman Baron. During the reign of Edward the Confessor, Thorley Manor belonged to Earl Tostig.

Thorley Church, dedicated to St James the Great, dates from the 13th century and boasts a Norman font and a three-seat sedilia. The pulpit was designed by Gilbert Scott. There is a one thousand year old yew tree in the graveyard, which also has the grave of Daniel Defoe's sister. The graveyard is entered through a fine lychgate dating from the 1920s. The stocks and whipping post that stood in the graveyard until the late 20th century have now been moved to the Bishop's Stortford Museum. Samuel Horsley was rector of the Church from 1779–1782, following in the footsteps of his father John, who was rector from 1745-1777. From 1594 to 1610, the rector was Francis Burley, one of the translators of the King James Bible

The 16th century Tudor Barn in the adjoining farm was converted from pig barn to church and community centre in 1996 with the help of a £1 million endowment.

Thorley is near the housing estate of St Michael's Mead, within walking distance from Bishops Stortford town centre. in 1935 a substantial part of Thorley was transferred to Bishop's Stortford. Since 1974 it no longer exists as a civil parish, but is wholly within Bishop's Stortford.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Thorley, Hertfordshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.