Thockrington church, which stands so prominently on a spur of the Great Whin Sill, is one of the oldest churches in the county. The church is dedicated to St Aidan.
Here are buried several members of the ancient family of Shafto, the earliest mention of whom is in 1240. The Shaftos lived at nearby Bavington until the eighteenth century when, as a result of their support of the Jacobite cause in 1715, their estates were confiscated by the Crown, and ultimately sold to a Delaval. The Shaftos also had connections with the county of Durham and lived on their Durham estates until 1953, when a family member returned to Bavington Hall.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Thockrington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Thockrington was an ancient parish in the Tynedale Ward which also became a civil parish in the 19th century. From 1894 it was part of Bellingham Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the newly-formed civil parish of Bavington.
Townships in Parish