|Alt names||Sixtedale||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 309|
|Sixtendale||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 309|
|Xixtendale||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 309|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||East Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Wharram Percy, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||ancient parish in which it was situated|
|Buckrose Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was located|
|Pocklington Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which the parish was situated 1894-1935|
|Norton Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which the parish was situated 1935-1974|
|Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England||administrative district in which it is now located|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Thixendale has been, since 1974, a tiny village and civil parish in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England. It is located in the Yorkshire Wolds, about 20 miles east of the city of York.
The population of the village and surrounding farms is 130.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Thixendale was originally a township in the ancient parish of Wharram Percy in the Buckrose Wapentake of the East Riding of Yorkshire. Thixendale was made a civil parish in 1866 and in 1894 it became part of the Pocklington Rural District.
In 1935 Thixendale it acquired land from the neighbouring parish of Kirby Underdale and was transferred to Norton Rural District where it remained until the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974.
In 1974 rural districts were abolished and the border between the East Riding of Yorkshire and the North Riding of Yorkshire was realigned. The North Riding changed its name to North Yorkshire.
Since 1974 Thixendale has been in North Yorkshire, specifically within the Ryedale District.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Thixendale.
- GENUKI on Thixendale.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Thixendale.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Wharram Percy provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps of the East Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- For a discussion of where to find Archive Offices in Yorkshire, see GENUKI.
- Yorkshire has a large number of family history and genealogical societies. A list of the societies will be found on the Yorkshire, England page.
Categories: East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Thixendale, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Wharram Percy, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Buckrose Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Norton Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England | North Yorkshire, England