Place:Thirston with Shothaugh, Northumberland, England

NameThirston with Shothaugh
Alt namesFelton-Pathfootsource: settlement in parish
East and West Thirston with Shothaughsource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.298°N 1.707°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoMorpeth Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Felton, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was located
Morpeth Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Thirston, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which is was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Thirston with Shothaugh from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"THIRSTON-WITH-SHOTHAUGH, a township in Felton ancient parish, Northumberland; 9½ miles S by E of Alnwick. Acres with Felton-Pathfoot: 1,161. Population: 294. Houses: 58."

The township, part of Felton ancient parish, was originally named East and West Thirston with Shothaugh and became a civil parish under that name. In 1935 its name was changed to the shorter Thirston with Shothaugh and its borders were slightly changed. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)

From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Morpeth Rural District. In 1955 a larger set of alterations took place and the area became part of a new civil parish named Thirston.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.