A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Thirston with Shothaugh from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
The township, part of Felton ancient parish, was originally named East and West Thirston with Shothaugh and became a civil parish under that name. In 1935 its name was changed to the shorter Thirston with Shothaugh and its borders were slightly changed. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)
In 1955 a larger set of alterations took place and the area became part of a new civil parish named Thirston.