|Type||Hamlet, City district|
|Located in||West Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|West Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Idle, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||civil parish in which Thackley is located|
|Bradford, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||county borough of which it was a part 1899-1974|
|Bradford (metropolitan borough), West Yorkshire, England||conurbation in which it has been located since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
The village of Thackley is a small suburban area to the north of the city of Bradford, West Yorkshire in England.
The village is loosely bordered by the village of Idle to the south, to the west by the West Royd area of Shipley and elsewhere by the Leeds and Liverpool Canal.
Thackley is the northernmost part of Bradford south of the river Aire.
Historically, Thackley was in the ecclesiastical parish of Calverley in the Morley Division of the wapentake of Agbrigg and Morley. Windhill was in the civil parish of Idle until 1899 and in the City of Bradford from 1899 until 1974.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Thackley.
- GENUKI on Thackley. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Calverley provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Thackley.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to four maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding South 1900. The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (the southern part of Bradford, the southern part of Leeds, the southern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the southern part of Selby, Goole Rural District, and all the divisions of Halifax, Huddersfield, Wakefield, Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham and Sheffield)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding North 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the whole of the West Riding after the revisions of 1935.