Place:Terrington St. John, Norfolk, England

NameTerrington St. John
Alt namesTerrington St Johnsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 195; Gazetteer of Great Britain (1999) p 698
Terrington Saint Johnsource: long form
Terrington-St. Johnsource: Family History Library Catalog
Tilinghetunasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 195
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates52.701°N 0.271°E
Located inNorfolk, England
See alsoFreebridge Marshland Hundred, Norfolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
Marshland Rural, Norfolk, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
King's Lynn and West Norfolk District, Norfolk, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Terrington St. John is a village and civil parish in the English county of Norfolk. The village lies to the south of the route of the A47 which runs between Peterborough and Kings Lynn.

It covers an area of 8.26 km2 (3.19 sq mi) and had a population of 882 in 336 households at the 2001 UK census, the population slightly increasing to 891 at the 2011 UK census. For the purposes of local government, it falls within the district of King's Lynn and West Norfolk District.

In 1935 it was reduced in size to create Marshland St. James civil parish.

Research Tips

  • GENUKI provides a list of references for Terrington St. John. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.
  • GENUKI also advises that the following lists for Norfolk are to be found in FamilySearch: