Temple is a town in Hillsborough County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 1,366 at the 2010 census. It is home to Temple Mountain State Reservation, and formerly home to Temple Mountain Ski Area.
The area was first called Peterborough Slip, which included what is now Sharon. In 1768, it was incorporated by colonial Governor John Wentworth, who named it after his lieutenant governor, John Temple. The town of Temple, Maine was in turn named for it. Temple Glassworks was founded here in 1780 by Robert Hewes of Boston. Although the company is long defunct, surviving examples of Temple glass are today rare and prized collectibles. By 1859, the town's population was 579, when Temple had two sawmills, one gristmill, and a tannery.
Terrain is generally uneven and rocky. It is also elevated, commanding distant views to the east and south. As John Farmer and Jacob Bailey Moore wrote in 1823, "From the highest point of elevation, twenty meetinghouses may be seen when the atmosphere is clear."
"The records of the town of Temple were destroyed by fire some years ago and much valuable data was lost …" History and Genealogy of the Jewetts of America, 113 .