Place:Teddington, Worcestershire, England

TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates51.9958°N 2.0528°W
Located inWorcestershire, England     ( - 1931)
Also located inGloucestershire, England     (1931 - )
See alsoOswaldslow (hundred), Worcestershire, Englandhundred in which the parish was located
Tewkesbury Rural, Gloucestershire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1935
Cheltenham Rural, Gloucestershire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1935-1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

Teddington is a village and parish in now in Gloucestershire, England but formerly in Worcestershire with a population of less than 300.

The villages of Teddington and Alstone, separated by the tiny hamlet of Bengrove lie in gently rolling countryside near the foot of the Cotswold escarpment, almost equidistantly from the towns of Cheltenham, Tewkesbury and Evesham. Teddington and Alstone now lie in the Anglican Diocese of Worcester, although they have been part of Gloucestershire since 1932.

A 19th century description

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Teddington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

  • TEDDINGTON, a chapelry in Overbury parish, Worcester; 2½ miles E of Ashchurch [railway] station, and 5 E of Tewkesbury. Post town, Tewkesbury. Population: 132. Houses: 27. The living is annexed to Overbury. The church is early English. There is a national school."

Although part of Worcestershire until 1931 Teddington was part of Tewkesbury Rural District from 1894. It continued to be in Tewkesbury Rural District when it was transferred to Gloucestershire. In 1935 Tewkesbury Rural District was abolished and Teddington was transferred to Cheltenham Rural District. At the same time the neighbouring civil parish of Alstone was abolished and Teddington and Alstone became one parish under the name Teddington.

Registration Districts

Research Tips

Online sources which may also be helpful:

  • GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
  • A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
  • The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
  • A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
  • Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
  • has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Teddington, Gloucestershire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.