- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Tanshelf from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "TANSHELF, a township in Pontefract parish, [West Riding of] Yorkshire; adjacent to the W end of Pontefract. Acres, 270. Real property, £2,737. Pop. in 1851, 601; in 1861, 776. Houses, 160. There are several neat villas."
Historically, Tanshelf was in the ecclesiastical parish of Pontefract in the wapentake of Osgoldcross. From 1875 until 1920, Tanshelf was located within Pontefract Municipal Borough district. In 1920 it was completely merged into Pontefract civil parish.
- GENUKI on Tanshelf. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Pontefract provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Tanshelf.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to four maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding South 1900. The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (the southern part of Bradford, the southern part of Leeds, the southern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the southern part of Selby, Goole Rural District, and all the divisions of Halifax, Huddersfield, Wakefield, Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham and Sheffield)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding North 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the whole of the West Riding after the revisions of 1935.