Tangley Parish covers an area of and has just over 600 residents in three villages, Tangley, Wildhern and Hatherden and the hamlets of Charlton Down and Little Hatherden. It lies in the north west corner of Hampshire and most of it is an officially designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The houses are typical of the different kinds to be found in the area with the older ones being of flint and brick and chalk cob with thatched or tiled roofs.
A walk through the parish of Tangley takes one through woodland, downland and farmland. The villages are scattered over the chalklands south of the Hampshire downs, on high land which overlooks the Bourne valley to the north and the remains of Chute Forest to the west.
The name Tangley is Anglo-Saxon. The earliest reference, in 1174, calls it Tangelea, meaning a wood or clearing (leah) on a tongue, or perhaps tongues, of land. Tangelea 1175. Possibly 'woodland clearing at the spits of land'. Old English tang + leah
Tangley has a War Memorial dedicated to those who gave their lives in the Great War of 1914-1918.
Tangley has become famous for the devastating fire that consumed its manor house, and resulted in the deaths of MP Michael Colvin and his wife in February 2000.
The small Victorian church of St Thomas is surrounded by its old graveyard with ancient yew trees. People have prayed here for centuries and three sarsen stones remain, as possible evidence there was pagan worship there before Christian times.