Tallington is a village in the South Kesteven District of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated 4 miles (6 km) east from Stamford, 3.5 miles (5.6 km) southwest of Market Deeping and 8 miles (13 km) north-east from the centre of Peterborough.
The village has around 200 houses and a population of 406 according to the UK census of 2001. Census populations averaged less than 250 for the whole of the 19th century.
The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Lawrence. Parish registers exist from 1690, but Bishop's transcripts go back to 1562. There was a Congregationalist chapel in the village from 1870 until 1913.
NOTE: Some of the above details are from GENUKI. There is more information on their webpage.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.