Place:Takeley, Essex, England

Watchers


NameTakeley
Alt namesTacheleiasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 105
TypeVillage
Coordinates51.867°N 0.267°E
Located inEssex, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Takeley is a small village in Essex near Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, England.

When Takeley was first registered by the Normans in 1086–87 its boundaries were approximately 8 miles (13 km) in length, with a total area of 3,000 acres (12 km²). However, since the development of Stansted Airport, it has lost nearly a third of its land. Takeley consists of several Ends and Greens, namely Brewer's End (John le Brewer, 1327), The Street, Smith's Green, Bamber's Green (Bambrose Green, from Banbury family at Sheering Hall), Molehill Green (Morrell's Green), Mill End and Cooper's End. Cooper's End has since been demolished and the cargo area of the airport now stands on the ground once occupied by the settlement. The access to and from the airport at Cooper's End was closed briefly in January 1991 but was re-opened in November of that year. Cooper's End roundabout was developed during the construction of the new airport terminal and is placed just west of the terminal.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Takeley. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.