NOTE: Swinton near Rotherham should not be confused with Swinton near Malton in the North Riding of Yorkshire (now North Yorkshire).
It is best known for being the site of the Rockingham Pottery, a world-renowned manufacturer of porcelain. Although the factory closed in 1842 its name is left as defining a style of rococo porcelain. There were several other potteries in the area during the 19th century. One of the original kilns, a small part of the factory, a gatehouse (both now private residences) and the pottery flint millpond remain today in Pottery Ponds, a small park off Blackamoor Road near the Woodman public house. Swinton was also the site of another important but lesser known pottery, Don Pottery.
The village of Swinton lies between the Roman Ridge (extending approximately from Wincobank to the north east of Sheffield, to Mexborough) and the south west Roman road from Doncaster (the Roman fort and minor settlement of Danum). Furthermore, a coin hoard dating to the early 3rd century was excavated during the construction of a house cellar in the village in 1853 (Monument SK 49 NW5, Pastscape).
In June 2014, Mr. Andrew Allen of Swinton, South Yorkshire, uncovered a number of pottery sherds whilst gardening at home. Preliminary observations found that this exciting new assemblage comprised approximately 90 pottery sherds, including high status fabrics such as Samien ware, traditional cooking wares and rusticated pottery, as well as possible metal and glass working waste products.