Place:Swinhoe, Northumberland, England

TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.548°N 1.674°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoBamburgh, Northumberland, Englandancient parish of which it was part
Bamburgh Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient division in which it was located
Belford Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Beadnell, Northumberland, Englandparish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Swinhoe from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"SWINHOE, a township in Bambrough parish, Northumberland; 7 miles ESE of Belford. It has a post-office under Chathill. Acres: 1,323. Population: 153. Houses: 29."

Swinhoe was an ancient parish in the Bamburgh Ward which also became a civil parish in the 19th century. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Belford Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Beadnell.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.