|Alt names||Suie||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 125|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||New Forest Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Boldre, Hampshire, England||parish from which it was formed in 1879|
|Lymington Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Hordle, Hampshire, England||parish from which a considerable area was transferred in 1932|
|New Forest Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1932-1974|
|New Forest District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Sway is a village in Hampshire in the New Forest National Park in England. The civil parish was formed in 1879, when lands were taken from the extensive parish of Boldre. It was increased in size in 1932 when the parish of Hordle was abolished. Sway is on the southern edge of the woodland and heathland of the New Forest and within the jurisdiction of the New Forest District. It had a population of 3,448 in the UK census of 2001.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Sway.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 4, chapter on Boldre may have some references to Sway.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Sway, Hampshire, England | New Forest Hundred, Hampshire, England | Boldre, Hampshire, England | Lymington Rural, Hampshire, England | New Forest Rural, Hampshire, England | New Forest District, Hampshire, England