- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is a condensation of an article in Wikipedia
Swanwick is a village in Hampshire, England, east of the River Hamble and north of the M27 motorway. The village is located within the Borough of Fareham. Swanwick railway station on the West Coastway Line is approximately one mile south of the village.
The Post Office Directory of 1855 listed Swanwick as a hamlet within the parish of Titchfield (itself the largest parish in the county of Hampshire at the time). The hamlet had an independent chapel, but no Church of England place of worship.
Around the beginning of the 20th century the area around Swanwick was noted for its strawberry beds. Strawberry farming remained a feature of the area, and in 1961 strawberries from Swanwick were being cooled immediately after picking as an experimental way of retaining quality and freshness for longer. Swanwick's cooled strawberries were being transported to markets as far away as Leeds, Manchester and Glasgow.
In 2002 Swanwick became the air traffic area control centre for the London airports of Heathrow, Gatwick and Stanstead and three smaller ones. It is the site of the London Area Control Centre (LACC) and the London Terminal Control Centre (LTCC), part of National Air Traffic Services Air Traffic Control Centre
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Titchfield.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Swanwick, Hampshire, England | Titchfield, Hampshire, England | Sarisbury, Hampshire, England | Fareham, Hampshire, England | Fareham District, Hampshire, England