|Type||Village, Civil parish|
|Located in||East Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|Humberside, England (1974 - 1996)|
|East Riding of Yorkshire, England (1996 - )|
|See also||Sculcoates Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which Swanland was located 1894-1935|
|Beverley Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district which included part of the orignal civil parish of Swanland 1935-1974|
|Haltemprice, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||urban district which absorbed part of Swanland in 1935|
|Hullshire Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which Swanland was located|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Swanland is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire in England. The village is about 7 miles (11 km) to the west of Kingston upon Hull city centre and 2 miles (3.2 km) north of the Humber Estuary on the B1231 road. To the east lies West Ella, to the west, separated by farmland, lies Melton and to the south lies North Ferriby. According to the 2011 UK census, Swanland parish had a population of 3,802, an increase on the 2001 UK census figure of 3,688.
At the centre of the village is a pond on which swans have been kept. However, due to the small size of the pond and the death of one of the swans in a road traffic accident, the birds are no longer allowed to be kept there.
From 1894 until 1935, Swanland was a civil parish in Sculcoates Rural District. On Sculcoates' abolition part of it was absorbed into Skidby parish in Beverley Rural District and the remainder was transferred to Haltemprice Urban District. With the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, it became part of Humberside, and in 1996 the northern part of Humberside again became the East Riding of Yorkshire. Historically, Swanland was located in the ecclesiastical parish of North Ferriby in the Hullshire Wapentake.
- GENUKI on Skidby. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Skidby.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Skidby provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- Information used here was taken from another page of A Vision of Britain through Time, and other pages on this website. Follow the tabs "Relationships and Changes".
- Expanding the map in the top-right corner of this page may help to understand the georgraphical relationships between the places mentioned here.
Categories: East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Humberside, England | Sculcoates Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Beverley Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Haltemprice, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Hullshire Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England