- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Swalcliffe is a village and civil parish about 5 miles (8 km) west of Banbury in Oxfordshire, England. The parish is about 2 1⁄2 miles (4 km) long north – south and about 1 mile (1.6 km) east – west. The 2011 UK Census recorded the population of the modern Swalcliffe parish as 210.
The ancient parish of Swalcliffe was larger than the present civil parish, and included the townships of Epwell, Shutford, Sibford Ferris and Sibford Gower.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Swalcliffe.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Swalcliffe from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "SWALCLIFFE, or Swacliffe, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Banbury [registration] district, Oxford. The village stands 5¾ miles WSW of Banbury [railway] station, and has a post-office under Banbury. The parish includes the townships of Sibford-Ferris, Sibford-Gower, Epwell, Shutford, and West Shutford; and comprises 6,270 acres. Real property: £13,640. Population: 1,919. Houses: 444. The property is much subdivided. [Swalcliffe] Park is the residence of H. Norris, Esq. A double-ditched British camp is at Madmarston. Many Roman remains have been found at Blackland. The living is a vicarage, with Epwell and Shutford chapelries, in the diocese of Oxford. Value: £300. Patron: New College, Oxford. The church has Norman, early English, decorated, and later English portions, and is good. The vicarage of Sibford is a separate benefice. Ancient chapels of ease are in Epwell and Shutford. There are six dissenting chapels, an endowed school with £30 a year, a large Quakers' school, and charities £154.
- "The [registration] sub-district contains 11 parishes. Acres: 21,720. Population: 6,219. Houses: 1,440."