- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Sutton Grange is a small settlement now in North Yorkshire, England, 2 miles (3 km) north west of Ripon. It was historically a township in the parish of Ripon in the West Riding of Yorkshire, and became a separate civil parish in 1866. By 1961 the population of the parish was only 40. In 1974 it was transferred to Harrogate district in North Yorkshire, and in 1988 it was absorbed into the civil parish of North Stainley with Sleningford.
Sutton Grange was the site of a grange of Fountains Abbey. Earthworks surrounding an enclosure known as Hall Garth represent the only visible remains of the grange.
Historically, Sutton Grange was in the ecclesiastical parish of Ripon in the Lower division of the Claro Wapentake. From 1894 until 1937, Sutton Grange was located in Ripon Rural District and from 1937 until 1974 in Ripon and Pateley Bridge Rural District. In 1974 the area became part of the Harrogate District of North Yorkshire.
- GENUKI on Sutton Grange. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Ripon provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Sutton Grange.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. Those listed here provide data for the part of the West Riding that transferred to North Yorkshire in 1974 plus the northern parts of Leeds and Bradford. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the northern part of the West Riding (mostly Settle, Skipton, Ripon and Pateley Bridge, and Nidderdale, with sections of Wharfedale and Wetherby) after the revisions of 1935.