Sutton-on-Hull was preceded by a civil parish named Sutton with Stoneferry. The more northern section, Stoneferry, was the site of a ferry across the River Hull which was replaced by a bridge in 1905. Sutton, closer to the busy port, had greater links with Kingston upon Hull. (The Hull docks were at the foot of River Hull where it flows into the River Humber.)
In 1894 the section of Sutton closest to Hull was taken away from Stoneferry with Sutton parish and made into an individual civil parish named Sutton-on-Hull within Sculcoates Rural District. In 1935 Sutton-on-Hull took more of the southern section of Sutton with Stoneferry and was amalgamated into Hull itself.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Stoneferry. Sections on "History", and the sub-sections on "Industry" and "Bridges" from this more extensive article may be of interest.