- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Sutton upon Derwent is a small village and civil parish on the River Derwent in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England, approximately 8 miles (13 km) to the south east of the City of York.
The village reflects a close association with the Jervis family, holders of the title of Viscount St. Vincent since 1735, due to the Manor passing into the hands of Carnegie Robert John Jervis, 3rd Viscount St. Vincent in 1857. The family held the Manor until it was sold to the Crown in 1947 and 1948.
Historically, Sutton upon Derwent was an ecclesiastical parish in the wapentake of Harthill. From 1894 until 1974, Sutton upon Derwent was located in Pocklington Rural District.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.
- GENUKI on Sutton-upon-Derwent. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Sutton upon Derwent provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- British History Online has an article on Sutton upon Derwent which describes the local history including the ownership of manors and estates.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Sutton-upon-Derwent.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps of the East Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.