Place:Sutton-under-Brailes, Warwickshire, England

Watchers
NameSutton-under-Brailes
Alt namesSutton-under-Brailssource: John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates52.0331°N 1.5625°W
Located inWarwickshire, England     (1844 - )
Also located inGloucestershire, England     ( - 1844)
See alsoWestminster (hundred), Gloucestershire, Englandhundred in which it was located
source: Family History Library Catalog


A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Sutton-under-Brailes from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"SUTTON-UNDER-BRAILS, a parish in Shipston-on-Stour district, Warwick; 7¼ miles NE by E of Moreton [railway] station. Post town, Shipston-on-Stour. Acres: 1,135. Rated property: £1,651. Population: 227. Houses: 47. The manor belongs to Sir P. V. Pole, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £313. Patron, the Bishop of [Gloucester and Brisol]]. The church is good."

Sutton-under-Brails was located in Gloucestershire until 1844 when it was transferred to Warwickshire under the Counties (Detached Parts) Act 1844.

Research Tips

The Victoria History of Gloucestershire from the website British History Online. The history of the the upper divisions of Tewkesbury and Westminster hundreds, all in the eastern part of the county.
The Victoria History of Gloucestershire from the website British History Online. Histories of the parishes of the lower divisions of the hundreds of Tewkesbury and Westminster.