Place:Sullivan, Crawford, Missouri, United States

Watchers


NameSullivan
TypeCity
Coordinates38.209°N 91.165°W
Located inCrawford, Missouri, United States


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Sullivan is a city that straddles the border of Franklin County and Crawford County in the U.S. state of Missouri. The population was 7,081 at the 2010 census. On January 28, 1839, 120 acres were conveyed by the U.S. Government to Garretson (also spelled Garrison) P. Hardy. Purchased according to provisions of the Act of Congress for the sale of public lands (dated April 1820). Then in June of 1848, Garretson sold the acreage to William & Mary Smith for $150. In June 1856, Stephen & Dorcas purchased the acreage, plus an additional 49 acres from Smith for the sum of $400. This was future site of the original town. On July 25, 1856, when a post office was established in present-day Sullivan, the local postmaster named the place "Mount Helicon". This short-lived name was after an actual mountain in Greece that was the mythical sanctuary of the Muses. In 1859, Stephen Sullivan donates ground for railroad right-of-way and builds the depot himself. The railroad names station “Sullivan” prompting the post office to change to Sullivan. Between 1920 to 1960 the city grew from 900 to more than 4,000 residents, making Sullivan the second-fastest growing city in the state during that time.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Sullivan, Missouri. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.