Place:Stuchbury, Northamptonshire, England

Alt namesStotsburysource: Family History Library Catalog
Stutchburysource: A Vision of Britain through Time
Stutsburysource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Located inNorthamptonshire, England
See alsoBrackley Rural, Northamptonshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Greatworth, Northamptonshire, Englandparish into which it was absorbed in 1935
South Northamptonshire District, Northamptonshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Stuchbury from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"STUTCHBURY, or Stotsbury, a parish in Brackley [registration] district, Northampton; 5 miles N by W of Brackley [railway] station. Post town: Brackley. Acres: 1,007. Real property: £1,736. Population: 23. Houses: 4. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value: £23. Patron: the University of Oxford. There is no church."

In 1935 the civil parish of Stuchbury was abolished and the area absorbed by the parish of Greatworth. The area is now part of South Northamptonshire District in Northamptonshire, England.

Stuchbury is considered to be a "deserted medieval village" in Wikipedia which lists 100 villages of this type in Northamptonshire. (See List of lost settlements in Northamptonshire.)

Research Tips