|Alt names||Stowerton||source: alternate spelling|
|Type||Hamlet, Civil parish|
|Located in||Warwickshire, England|
|See also||Whichford, Warwickshire, England||ancient parish of which it was part|
|Kington Hundred, Warwickshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Brailes Rural, Warwickshire, England||rural district in which it was located until 1931|
|Shipston-on-Stour Rural, Warwickshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1931-1974|
|Stratford-on-Avon (district), Warwickshire, England||district municipality in which it has been located since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Stourton is a village and civil parish beside the River Stour about 3 miles (5 km) southeast of Shipston on Stour. The population taken at the 2011 census was 159. Stourton is contiguous with the larger village of Cherington. There still exists the Manor of Stourton, again close to Whichford.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Stourton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "STOURTON, or Stowerton, a hamlet in Whichford parish, Warwick; 4 miles SE of Shipston-on-Stour. Real property: £1,472. Population: 202. Houses: 46."
Stourton was originally a hamlet and chapelry in the ancient parish of Whichford in the Kington Hundred of Warwickshire. It was made a civil parish in 1866 and in 1894 it became part of the Brailes Rural District. In 1932 Brailes Rural District was abolished and Stourton was transferred to Shipston on Stour Rural District. Since 1974 it has been in the Borough of Stratford on Avon.
- The website British History Online provides seven volumes of the Victoria County History Series on Warwickshire. The first (Vol 2) covers the religious houses of the county; Volumes 3 through 6 provide articles the settlements in each of the hundreds in turn, and Volumes 7 and 8 deal with Birmingham and Coventry respectively.
- GENUKI main page for Warwickshire provides information on various topics covering the whole of the county, and also a link to a list of parishes. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each. This is a list of pre-1834 ancient or ecclesiastical parishes but there are suggestions as to how to find parishes set up since then. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and therefore the reader should check additional sources if possible.
- Warwickshire and West Midland family history societies are listed in GENUKI.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date and from more recent data. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851. There is a list of all the parishes in existence at that date with maps indicating their boundaries. The website is very useful for finding the ecclesiastical individual parishes within large cities and towns.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, Warwickshire, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72 which often provides brief notes on the economic basis of the settlement and significant occurences through its history.
- The two maps below indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.
Categories: Warwickshire, England | Stourton, Warwickshire, England | Whichford, Warwickshire, England | Kington Hundred, Warwickshire, England | Brailes Rural, Warwickshire, England | Shipston on Stour Rural, Warwickshire, England | Stratford on Avon District, Warwickshire, England