- source: Family History Library Catalog
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Stone is a civil parish since 1974 in the Dartford Borough or District of Kent, England. It is located east of the town of Dartford.
The parish (including the hamlet of Bean--redirected here) was part of Axstane Hundred and later of Dartford Rural District.
- the following text is based on the section entitled "History" from the article in Wikipedia
Iron Age pottery and artefacts have been found here proving it to be an ancient settlement site. The 13th-century parish church, dedicated to St Mary the Virgin at Stone, was known as the "Lantern of Kent" from its beacon light known to all sailors on the river. It is one of Kent's most dramatic churches and is renowned for its Gothic sculpture made by the masons who built Westminster Abbey. The Grade I listing entry narrates that each spandrel is either identical or almost identical to those at Westminster Abbey and therefore dates to 1260 (the date of construction for Westminster Abbey). It also describes the North Chapel built for Sir Richard Wiltshire's death in 1527. (Source:English Heritage. "Details from listed building database (1085810)". National Heritage List for England.)
Located about a mile to the south of Greenhithe and just north of the Roman Watling Street, Stone Castle dates from the mid-11th century and is thought to have been constructed without license during the reign of King Stephen, but was later permitted to remain by King Henry II after his accession to the throne.
The castle was built almost entirely of flint. The only surviving portion of the original medieval castle intact is its large rectangular tower, rising 40 feet in height. An adjoining Georgian house was built onto the tower by Sir Richard Wiltshire; in 1527 Cardinal Wolsey stayed at his house while passing through the district. The property remains in the ownership of the Church of England.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Census records for Kent are available on FamilySearch, Ancestry and FindMyPast. The first site is free; the other two are pay sites but have access to microfilmed images. Steve Archer produced a very useful round-up of the available sources, but this information may not be up to date.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911 The full database from Kent Archives Office, Maidstone, has been available online from FamilySearch since June 2016.
- Kent had five family history societies (now only four):
- Wikipedia does not have an article on Sir Richard Wiltshire.